Saturday, September 20, 2014

Review of Hertz Midsize Rental at (EWR) Newark Liberty International Airport

I had first reserved a full size car at the EWR Hertz location through the Southwest portal, but as I always do, I recheck the prices several times before the day of the rental, the last being the day of.  When I checked it the day of the rental, I noticed that the price of the Midsize car was about $14 cheaper for the day and would be adequate for our needs, so I reserved the Midsize for $32 and cancelled the Fullsize rental that I had reserved for $46 for my 24 hour car rental.

We were able to get to the Hertz airport location on the Airtrain at the P3 stop.  I had forgotten to add my Hertz Gold number, so we had to head to the normal counter, which wasnt a big deal, since there was no one else there.  I was really impressed by the look of the location, since it looked very modern and had lots of tablets for kids and adults to spend time, while another family member gets checked in.

Diane, the agent who helped us, went through the normal rigmarole, asking me if I needed any of the add-ons.  I bit on the per-paid fuel option, since, if I drove less than 100 miles and I don't have time refill the car, they will only charge me $0.31 per mile driven.  Diane, also, upgraded us to a Fullsize car, a white 2013 Ford Fusion.  Though it had over 40,000 miles on it, it did have Sirius XM and leather seats.  There was a slight cigarette smell in the car, but it dissipated pretty quickly.  I had to ask for an EZPass transponder, since the Fusion was not equipped with one.

The car drove well on the wet, ill-lit New Jersey Turnpike.  We arrived at the Courtyard Edison Woodbridge with no issues.  The next day we headed to the Metuchen Sportsplex and then back to EWR.  I filled up the car at the Gulf station, just across from the Hertz location by P3 parking.

When we returned the car, the return agen found a ding on the front right side of the car.  I had not inspected the car before driving off, since we were in a hurry to get to the hotel.  They did not hold me liable for the damage, since they had not properly inventoried the vehicle the day before.  Even though I drove less than 40 miles, the receipt had me down as having driven more than 200.


No comments:

Post a Comment