Monday, September 22, 2014

Review: Courtyard by Marriott Edison Woodbridge near Metuchen, NJ

My daughter and I stayed at the Courtyard Edison Woodbridge for a fencing tournament taking place on Sunday, September 14 at the Metuchen Sportsplex.  We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the sports complex and the low price - a AAA rate of $89.  I could have used Marriott Rewards points or a free night certificate, but I like getting better value for my points and certificates, so I decided to just pay for it, since it was a very low cost.  To top it all off, it is the top rated hotel on TripAdvisor in the area.
Edison Woodbridge New Jersey Hotel Review
Courtyard Edison Woodbridge Review

When we checked in, we were told that I would be receiving 400 points for my arrival gift and could choose a Market item - my daughter selected Baked Lays.  We were given the key to Room 209, which initially disappointed me, since I requested a high floor room, but was surprised to see a nice welcome spread in my room.  There was a water and chocolate on the bed, with an elephant constructed from 3 wash clothes to greet us.  Also, on the footstool was a fiber pillow, as I requested.

The room itself was like any other Courtyard, though there was a 50 inch flat screen tv in the room, which made viewing of Notre Dame's Shamrock Series defeat of Purdue that much sweeter.  The bathroom was of decent size and the separate vanity area was adequate.  Some of the walls and furnishings showed some wear, but it did not detract noticeably from the experience.  The tub had a large stain, but the shower had good pressure.

At halftime of the game I ran down to the Bistro to order to go some Thai chili wings and a diet Mountain Dew.  It took about 12 minutes to bring it out to me, but it was placed into a nice handled bag that I could easily transport to my room.  It was expensive at around $13 for 6 wings and a 20oz diet Dew.  It tasted good and was adequately filling.

I had a hard time sleeping that night between not trying to toss and turn, so that my daughter could sleep and the radio that was loud, though not quite blaring from the room next door.  I finally became enlightened at 4am and turned on the air conditioner fan, which drowned out the music.

The next morning, the receipt was conveniently placed under our door.  As I looked over the expenses, I noticed that the "free" Market item from checkin was not quite so free, as my bill showed a charge of $2.57 and tax.  I had some time and headed down to the front desk, where the front desk agent rectified the charge.

If the price (or points) were right, I would stay at the Courtyard Edison Woodbridge again.


No comments:

Post a Comment