Sunday, September 14, 2014

Review: Courtyard Old Town San Diego

On the night of Thursday, September 11, 2014 I stayed in Room 428 at the Marriott Courtyard in Old Town San Diego.  I had stayed there many times before, since it is convenient to the 5 and 8 highways and usually has very competitive rates.  My rate for this night was the $134 AAA rate and I did not pay for parking, since I normally find easy parking on the street.
Old Town San Diego Hotel Review
Courtyard Old Town San Diego Review

The outside of the hotel is different from any other Courtyard that I have seen.  It was constructed in the Mission style to match the architecture of Old Town San Diego.  The pool here is small, but the outdoor covered patio is very nice and relaxing.

Check in was easy, since they know me.  The front desk person informed me that I would be getting 400 points as a gift for my stay and a Market item for which I chose a diet mountain dew.  He also informed me that they would be having a wine hour from 4:30-5:30 that evening - an event that has taken the place of the free bistro item cards that they used to hand out to me when I arrived.  He said that they do the wine hour Monday through Thursday.  I have participated in one of their wine hours before and they usually have one choice of red and one choice of white.  I could not make the wine hour, since I had a happy hour appointment at Jimmy O's in Del Mar.

Since the hotel was busy, they could not give me an upgrade, but did put me on the 4th floor in a room that faced the courtyard, rather than the highway.  My room was much quieter because of it.  The room looks like any other Courtyard room, since it was recently renovated.  One nice feature was the Keurig machine in the room.  I do not remember that the last time that I stayed here.

The bathroom was large with the normal tub/shower combo.  The light took a few seconds to flicker on, while the same switch controlled the noisy overhead fan, so there was no way to turn the fan off without turning off the light, as well.  The vanity sink outside the bathroom was small, but adequate for my needs.

Unlike the Sheraton Mission Valley and even the Hotel Solamar, the air conditioning at the Courtyard Old Town was great.  I was able to get my room cooled down quickly and was very comfortable in the room.

My wake up call on Friday morning rang 4 minutes earlier than requested at 4:26am, so I got up, showered and packed up the rest of my belongings.  The receipt for my stay was conveniently delivered under my door and had the correct charges.

I will definitely be staying here again in the future, because of its convenient location and affordable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment