Saturday, September 13, 2014

Lunch at Las Olas in Carlsbad, CA

Had lunch at Las Olas in downtown Carlsbad, CA.  I found parking on the street in front of the restaurant, but convenient, free (during the day) parking is located on the back side of the restaurant.  I arrived a few minutes early and was told to take whatever table I would like.  The front of the restaurant was very warm and had no cross breeze, so I sat inside, where a nice cross breeze made the temperature much more bearable.

The waitress brought me some chips and fresh salsa and the diet coke I ordered as I took a seat.  The menu is quite extensive with many different Mexican dishes.  It was hard to make a choice, but I quickly decided to choose an entree with fish or seafood.

As I deliberated, I overheard a conversation about Notre Dame's 31-0 destruction of the Michigan Wolverines the prior weekend.  I commented that it was a truly great game.  As we talked it became quickly apparent that one of the group was a Notre Dame graduate, like me.  She graduated in 1994, a year after me.  She and her family were in town from Denver to have some fun at Legoland.

When my guest arrived, we ordered our lunch.  My guest ordered a chicken tostada and I ordered the baja style fish burrito.  My baja style burrito came with refried beans and rice, but I only ate the burrito, since it was large enough to fill me up.  It tasted great - light, but filling with good, but not overpowering flavor.

The customer service was very good.  At first it looked like I might have two waitresses, but finally they talked and only one waitress served me.  At first, she was a bit preoccupied, but later warmed up.  It's not to say that she did not fulfill her role well at first, since she kept refilling my diet coke, as I needed them, but she was not overly hospitable.  She became increasingly more friendly as we continued our lunch.

I have not been to any other Las Olas locations, but I would return to this one, when I am in Carlsbad.  I am interested to see what might be in store at another one of their restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment