Sunday, September 28, 2014

Lunch at Carmela's at Macri's Bakery in South Bend, IN

Had lunch with several work associates at Carmela's, which is located at the old Macri's Deli and in the same building as Macri's Bakery.  I had been to Carmela's several years ago with my wife, but had not returned, so I was interested to see what I would think of it.

As we entered the building, I could see the wear/cracks in the brick walkway leading to the entrance of the building.  As we entered, though, the inside of Carmela's looked very inviting.  We were seated at a nice corner table.  There were only about 4 other tables occupied, so the restaurant was not noisy at all.

We had two waitresses - one was training the other.  They did a good job of serving us and keeping up on our drinks.  They were not the greatest servers I have ever had, but they did their job efficiently.

I ordered an Italian Beef sandwich with french fries.  I joked that, since we were at an Italian restaurant, that it should just be a Beef sandwich.  Though my co-workers go the joke, the waitresses were a bit too preoccupied to laugh.  Or - it was a stupid, corny joke.  My coworkers all ordered salads.

The orders came pretty quickly.  All of the salads looked pretty good and my Beef sandwich looked tasty.  I asked for some ketchup, since there was none at the table.  It took them about 5 minutes to finally bring it to the table.  Luckily, I was enjoying dipping my sandwich in the tasty au jus.  When they brought the Hunt's ketchup, I remembered why we always buy Heinz at home.  I am not a huge Hunt's ketchup fan.

The price of the sandwich was not overly exorbitant, really not much more than one would spend at Penn Station, though Penn Station's fries are much better.  I would probably go to Carmela's again for lunch, if I was in that area of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment